Without a pet, a house is not a house. They provide us with companionship and enduring love. Therefore, it is crucial to get pet insurance in order to safeguard these magnificent animals when they are ill or injured and to provide them with the greatest medical care. One of the most recent insurance programmes to be implemented in India is the insurance for pets in India. This programme pays for the veterinarian costs associated with treating an ill or injured pet. Some pet insurance policies also cover the loss or passing away of the covered animal. This aids pet owners in reducing the likelihood that their animals will require expensive medical care and in ensuring that they receive the finest care possible.
Features and advantages of pet insurance:
- Customised plans – Plans for customised pet insurance are offered for animals, including pet insurance for dogs, cats, birds, etc.
- IRDAI approved – The pet insurance plans have received IRDAI approval (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India). This plan covers a variety of pet insurance programmes, including those for cattle, dogs, horses, cats, and other domestic animals. #
- Sum Assured – For pet insurance policies like dog insurance, the sum assured typically varies from Rs. 15,000 to Rs. 30,000. The breed and other relevant criteria will determine this. *
- Add-On Cover – A few insurance companies offer supplemental insurance for the standard policy, such as coverage for the loss of show admission fees. When a dog cannot attend a show because of a sickness or injury, this dog health insurance is provided to pay the entry fee forfeit. *
- Third-party liability – Some pet insurance policies provide third-party liability coverage in the event that your pet attacks, bites, or damages the property of a third party. *
- Types of cover – Three different types of pet insurance coverage are available: lifetime, time-limited, and money-limit. The pet and its owners are covered for life against any serious or protracted disease. Pet insurance for dogs covers conditions including eczema, arthritis, etc. A set sum will be given to the policyholder who chooses a lifelong pet insurance policy each year for the pet’s care. When a pet becomes ill or is injured, a time-limited pet insurance policy only provides financial protection for a short while. Money-limit insurance provides cash rewards to pet owners so they can pay for their animals’ medical costs. This policy has no expiration date and can be utilised indefinitely, up until the set financial limit is achieved. *
- Premium – Typically, the premium for a pet cover in India ranges from 3% to 5% of the amount insured. *
What pet insurance covers:
This clause addresses the following:
- Accidentally causing passing away
- Illness that was brought on when the policy was in force
- The cost of care
- Incident during travel (via rail, air or road)
- Pet theft or loss Incapacitation
- Inadvertent poisoning
- Third-party responsibility
Pet insurance exclusions:
The following list includes some of the general exclusions from the pet insurance program:
- Intentional or willful harm to the animal
- Injury or disease brought on by the pet’s mistreatment or careless handling
- Loss or harm brought on by a war, antagonism from another country, a revolution, a rebellion, a military coup, etc.
- Passing away from diseases like leptospirosis, rabies, distemper, viral hepatitis, and viral enteritis.
- Illness that was acquired before purchasing the policy.
The right amount of insurance for pets in India varies depending on the pet. However, you should consider your pet’s medical history and whether or not your pet is prone to accidents while making your choice. If you don’t have thousands of dollars on hand to cover an unexpected surgery, you may have to help your pet by conserving money.
* Standard T&C Apply
# Visit the official website of IRDAI for further details.
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.